July 23, 2011

How to Remove Write Protection On USB Flash Drives

The other day I was trying to use my flash drive which I have been using for quite a while, but every time I tried to do something a write protection error kept coming up even though I had never put any write protection on my flash drive.  I Googled the problem and found several good solutions which seemed to work for most people and there were many methods to fix this.  Those methods you can find here and here.  I don't want to explain again what has already been explained many times on the internet, so I will just tell you my method.  If you want the other methods, you can click the following links to find them:


The main method of fixing the flash drive was going into the registry and editing/adding keys.  I tried that method with no success.  I then found this picture showing how someone else did it: 

Click to enlarge

I wanted to try something similar with my flash drive, but I also didn't want to break it, plus I couldn't even find that copper strip that he was talking about.  Instead I decided to try the old method that was originally for old Nintendo games like NES, N64, or GameBoy.  I tried blowing into my flash drive.  After that I plugged it in to see if it would work and much to my surprise, it did actually work.  

So my method, which worked for me, is to take your flash drive out of the computer and blow into it.  You may also want to blow in to the USB port you are putting your flash drive in just in case there is any dust or crumbs or anything that might be making that Copper thing touch the other write protect copper as explained in that picture.

I hope this works for you as it did for me.  Please post any questions or comments you have in the comment box below.  Thank you and have an extraordinary day!

No comments:

Post a Comment