July 21, 2011

Some Good Advice Part 4

Here is post number 4 of 5, which means I am almost done with this series of posts.  Knowing that, I probably won't be posting for a while after post number five simply because I am not the best blogger and generally don't get good blogging ideas, but who knows?  Maybe I will actually continue to post regularly now.


  1. "skills to have: cooking (learn a few good recipes by heart), ironing, quick reflexes, massage therapy, what to do when your cell phone gets wet, proper grammar and spelling,...know how to calm someone down (or recognize a panic attack and calm them down)....ect"
  2. "Try learning an instrument.
    It will help you expand your mind, give you an interesting hobby, it's fun...
    Source: My electric guitar prowess."
  3. "Buy an empty journal, a nondescript one. Whenever you have someone in your life that you respect and admire a great deal (wonderful teachers, mentors, etc.) and you move to your next stage in life, leaving them behind, ask them to write a page for you in the book. I always asked teachers for their personal advice to me -- based on myself, my shortcomings, everything, and I let them know that I do not read what people write until I am in transit (on the train to college, etc.) to my next stage in life.
    It has been amazing. I am always worried they will be irritated by my request, but instead, each and every person has been honored, and floored that I respect them so much and want their advice. Teachers have requested to have the book for a week or more, so they can make sure to think of and say everything they want. Mentors have typed up, printed, and stapled in 6+ pages of life experience and advice, telling me deeply personal stories, secrets, and hopes for my future.
    And I learned what these people truly and deeply think of me, and what they think I am capable of. At this point, any time I feel hopeless or worthless, or just utterly lost, I go back and open up this journal. I go through all its entries. I promise you it's worth it."
  4. "I would recommend to stop overly caring about what others think about you. I wish I would have known this when I was 14. So many people obsess with how others perceive them and then change who they are to meet social norms."
  5. "Keep asking questions and seeking knowledge.
    Be honest with yourself. Recognize your flaws and forgive yourself for them. Love yourself. Do the same for others.
    Learn about reason and logic, fallacies and propaganda.
    Classes you like and careers you like do not always align.
    Evaluate yourself. Improve yourself. Help others.
    The accumulation of knowledge and experience which only effects you is wasted. Be eager and willing to give of yourself and teach the lessons you have, and will, learn.
    Recognize that during your life, you are never at an end point; just passing through a moment.
    Try to leave people better than you found them, the world better than you found it, and enjoy yourself while you're here."
  6. "I'm 15 and from what I can see, most high school relationships are worthless and I've seen them tear through friendships and create such large rifts. Also, get good friends. Those are the people who will look out for you and will truly help you, not the popular jock kids. Also, study, it will pay off in the future."
  7. "A lot of people are telling you to save money. Do this. Seriously. A lot of people are saying put half of your paycheck blhblah that's a lot of money. So put like, 50 bucks away. Or, since you are 14, maybe for a few years put half. But half is sometimes unrealistic and you end up wanting to use it more and are unable to save (that's what happened to me when I was 15 and got my first job). Also, don't ever tell people how much money you have in that special savings account. NEVER. It makes you sound like a [donkey], some people might try and use you for it, and well, you sound like a [donkey]. So it's your money, not a conversation or tool for boasting, or even something worth mentioning in small talk to a friend. Just don't talk about it.."
  8. "APPLY FOR AS MANY SCHOLARSHIPS AS POSSIBLE!!!! AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE! Also, don't procrastinate on writing assignments."
  9. "The one phrase that helped me the most through high school is "No matter what you are going through or what you are feeling right now, it will pass". Lots of crazy things are going to happen between now and when you end up being an independent adult. Some are going to seem world shattering, some you will know are silly but will feel like a big deal. Always remember that it will pass.
    Also keep this in mind for the happy and successful moments in life. It will ground you and give you wisdom beyond your years if you learn that all the good moments in life eventually pass, and for me personally it has served as great motivation to make sure I keep putting myself in a position to be happy and successful.
    Hope that helps and I hope you have a wonderful life going forward!
  10. "Talk to people. Sounds stupid, but don't isolate yourself. It's pretty easy to do with computers, steam sales and such. Be social. Let go of your hatred for that guy/girl who annoys you, it burns away at you from the inside. Love. Practice your public speaking skills."
Please note:  I did edit a few of these quotes.  The first ellipsis (...) in number 1 is from me and the ellipsis in number 2 is also from me.  Also, in number 7, I used the word "donkey" in brackets as a euphemism. Those were to take out some words and phrases that I deemed inappropriate.  If you would like to view those full comments, you can find the thread where I got all of these quotes from here: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/isezb/advice_for_a_14_year_old/.

No comments:

Post a Comment